We get lots and lots (and lots) of questions about the Family and Medical Leave Act. Apparently, so does the government.
In response, the U.S. Department of Labor has released a new Employee Guide to the FMLA, a “plain language booklet designed to answer common FMLA questions and clarify who can take FMLA leave and what protections the FMLA provides.”
It’s actually a nifty little resource. Your employees are reading it — so should you.
Specific questions/answers include:
- Who can take leave?
- When can they take it?
- How do they take it?
- What rights do employees have?
- What obligations do employers have?
- How does the medical certification process really work?
- How does the return to work process really work?
- How do employees file complaints if the employer messes things up?
The guide contains a handy flow chart to determine FMLA eligibility, defines key terms and maps out the leave process. The Department of Labor also created a supplementary webinar.
Article Continues Below
Click here to download the guide in PDF format.
This was originally published on Manpower Group’s Employment Blawg.