- Don’t have dumb rules.
- Don’t have too many rules.
- If they get in the way of doing business, get rid of them or change them.
- Don’t make your people break any rules to satisfy a customer.
- If you aren’t going to enforce it, forget it.
- You don’t have to treat people equally, but you do need to treat them fairly.
- Review all rules once and year and see if you still need them or if you need new ones.
Here is the old policy Nordstrom used to have. It was short enough to tweet and comprised the entire “policy manual:”
Welcome to Nordstrom
We’re glad to have you with our Company. Our number one goal is to provide outstanding customer service. Set both your personal and professional goals high. We have great confidence in your ability to achieve them.
Rule #1: Use your best judgment in all situations.
There will be no additional rules.
Article Continues Below
Please feel free to ask your department manager, store manager, or division general manager any question at any time.
This was originally published on Mel Kleiman’s Humetrics blog.