I’m always encouraging employers everywhere to research and write their own Top 10 lists of the reasons why everyone should want to work for their organization.
A client who took my advice polled her employees and sent me the following email:
“I asked my current team members why they enjoy working for me. Here’s the list:
- I care about my employees.
- I help them in any way I can.
- I provide a very comfortable environment.
- I’m a wonderful boss (their words, not mine, blush).
- We work hard and we have fun!
- We have a family-friendly environment.
- We get to meet really cool customers.
- I provide what they need to be successful.
- I tell them exactly what I need them to do.
- I tell them when I need them to improve without beating them up.
A great tool for what motivates people
This client’s list is a gold mine because:
Article Continues Below
- It inspires great recruiting messages. The list above suggests headlines like:
- Feel Like No One Cares?
- A Wonderful Boss Is Looking for You
- Who Says Work Can’t Be Fun?
- It’s a great tool for finding out what motivates job applicants and subtly selling the job to the people you want to hire. As part of the interview, give them the list and say: “These are the reasons our best people hired on and stay with us. Which three are the most important to you?” While the applicants are choosing from your Top 10 list, they are being subtly sold on your merits as an employer.
Where is your Top 10 List and what’s on it?
This originally appeared in Humetrics October 2015 Hiring Hints newsletter.