Your brain is a powerful instrument. Ask it for reasons why you should hire someone and it will respond with things like:
- She’s smart.
- He made a great impression.
- He seems to really want the job.
- She’s got all the right experience.
Ask your brain why you shouldn’t hire the person and, again, it will give what you asked for:
- She is over qualified.
- He has been out of a job for five months.
- She just didn’t interview well.
- He doesn’t seem like a team player.
Knowing your brain can justify almost any action you consider, you must ask it instead, “What is the right thing to do?”
Article Continues Below
And, after that, it is often worthwhile to ask a friend, who doesn’t have the same vested interests as you, for his or her opinion. These tips help keep you objective.
This was originally published on Mel Kleiman’s Humetrics blog.