Today, I’m here for the kickoff of the SHRM National Conference in Las Vegas to pick up some knowledge, blog about HR stuff, and try and win me another iPad – because every guy needs two iPads!
I thought last year was the year of the iPad, but it really was Year of the iTouch at the SHRM Expo Hall in San Diego. HR vendors aren’t the most creative set, so it becomes fairly easy each year to pick out the big giveaway at each booth that all the HR Pros will be going after.
I think last year a few went out of their way to get iPads, but most still went easier route and got the iTouch. This year, 2011, there is no doubt. So far I’ve gotten roughly 100 plus postcards and 30 percent are giving away at least one iPad.
So, what else will the Expo hounds being filling their reuasable recycled grocery bags with this year? I hope to get:
- An iPad, of course.
- One of those silly Monster.com stuffed animals, affectionately called “Trump,” short for Trumpasaurus. I’m not sure why but the SHRM attendees lose their mind over these things, but they do – every year!
- Chocolate – let’s face it 80 percent of the people attending the conference are women, and not enough vendors pay attention to this. After walking around five miles of Expo Hall and two miles back to their hotel, SHRM attendees want three things: a hot bath, a cold glass of wine, and some chocolate (and maybe to rent Sex and the City 2 OnDemand in their room).
What they’ll be re-gifting:
Article Continues Below
- Black and White Kindles. Really, I saw a number of these on postcards. What HR vendors are so disconnected that they would give away a black and white Kindle when the color one is available and for $150 more you can have an iPad? Grandmothers get ready; looks like Christmas will be Black and White Kindle time this year.
- Any coffee mugs, pens, water bottles, etc. Basically, any logo crap they can take back to the office to keep the tribe happy.
- Something for the kids. I will say that a few HR vendors have picked up on this and have gotten good at getting small, unique items that kids would like, thus Moms and Dads will stop by their booth to take one home for little Johnny.
What they won’t be getting, but will need:
- Hangover medication.
- Tattoo removal kit.
- Anything of real value (at least in the Expo Hall).
Here’s a tip: The guys at Talent Anarchy got the “prized” presentation spot of 7 am on Monday June 27 – yes tomorrow morning, right before Monday’s General Session with Arianna Huffington — so do yourself a favor and make this the one day you get up early and go see them. Jason and Joe put on a show, and they truly get HR – it could arguably be the best session being put on this year at SHRM Las Vegas.