By Eric B. Meyer
HBO Go may just be the best app ever.
Over the past two weeks, I’ve gotten current on Entourage and Game of Thrones, and begun watching Eastbound and Down. Watching characters like Ari Gold, Kenny Powers and Tyrion Lannister got me thinking. If these guys were in HR, what kind of questions would they ask potential hires in a job interview?
You know, this all sounded so much better in my head. Whatever.
Article Continues Below
Here are 29 questions I have that you should never ask a candidate in a job interview.
Marital Status / Sexual Orientation
- Are you married?
- Is this your maiden name?
- Do you have a permanent partner?
- Are you gay?
- With whom do you live?
Gender / Pregnancy
- How many children do you have?
- What are your child care arrangements?
- Are you pregnant?
- If you get pregnant, will you continue to work after childbirth?
- How old are you?
- What year did you graduate from high school?
- How much longer do you plan to work before you retire?
Disability / Genetic Information
- Do you have any disabilities?
- Are you on any medications?
- How is your family’s health?
- Do you drink?
Race / Nationality / Religion
- Where were your parents born?
- What kind of name is that?
- Do you consider yourself to be a minority?
- What language do you speak at home?
- What holidays do you celebrate?
- Do you belong to any clubs or organizations?
- What church do you attend?
- Is that a Star of David around your neck?
- Have you ever been arrested?
- Would you provide me with a copy of your military record?
- How many sick days did you take last year?
- Have you ever sued an employer for sexual harassment?
- Will you please friend me so that I may review your Facebook page?
This was originally published on Eric B. Meyer’s blog, The Employer Handbook.